Genesco supports organizations that:
- Have 501(c)(3) IRS tax classification.
- Align with the corporation's and employees' interests.
- Enable the Company to match corporate dollars with volunteer hours.
- Have Genesco employee leadership with the non-profit organization.
Genesco does not support organizations that may cause internal or external controversy. These include:
- Schools below the college level, including daycare centers. However, matching gifts to annual funds under the college level will be considered.
- Scholarship programs, outside of the Company's employee scholarship program.
- Disease-specific organizations seeking support for specific or individual research projects and programs; or donations to biomedical or clinical research. Donations to a general fund of a disease specific organization, for example, American Heart Association, Juvenile Diabetes, etc., are not excluded.
- Newsletters, magazines or books.
- Trips or tours.
- Projects or programs of religious, fraternal, athletic or veterans groups when the primary beneficiaries of such undertakings would be their own members.
- Pledges and payments for walks and telethons.
These examples are illustrative only and are not meant to identify every cause or proposed grantee.